Blog post 10

  • The big question addressed in lab, and describe what you did.
    • This week, the big question addressed in lab was the difference between the 3 types of rocks. We used a torch to melt and model how certain rocks are formed. 
  • A description of what you learned in Thursday's lecture.
    • This Thursday, I learned about plate tectonics. Convection is the process of transferring heat through the air of liquid currents. We also learned about the 3 boundaries: transform, divergent, and convergent. Transform boundaries are where two plates slide past each other horizontally, causing earthquakes along fault lines. Divergent boundaries occur when two plates move away from each other, creating new crust as magma rises to fill the gap. Convergent boundaries are where two plates collide, leading to subduction zones where one plate is forced beneath the other. 

Answer questions about the weekly textbook reading:
  • What did you learn?
    • In this week's reading, I learned about plate tectonics more in depth. I learned the law of superposition, which is the principle that in any undisturbed sequence of rock layers, the youngest layer is on top, and the oldest is on the bottom. This helps geologists determine the relative ages of different rock layers and understand the history of Earth's crust. 
  • What was most helpful?
    • The most helpful thing from this reading was all the diagrams because most of the time when I watch videos, I get lost, but looking and seeing exactly what they were talking about was helpful. 
  • What do you need more information on?
    • I need more information on what type of the 3 rocks are the most rare?
  • What questions/concerns/comments do you have?
    • none

 




Comments

Popular Posts