Blog Post Week 13

 

  1. What did you learn this week?
    1. This week, I learned about the Rutherford Experiment, in which alpha particles were shot through gold foil. This experiment concluded that matter is made up of particles that we can't see. 
  2. Which parts did you find clear and which were confusing?
    1. I understand that atoms are the building blocks of matter. However, I was confused by why particles move faster or slower depending on temperature.
  3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
    1. In the lecture, we performed 2 simulations that showed atoms moving around. Instead of incorporating these online simulations in my future teaching, I will conduct hands-on activities like the Rutherford experiment. 




Our experiment involved putting the M&Ms in circles and then timing how fast the color reached the outside of the circle. During the second experiment we did the same thing but used regular water vs. sugar water.  


Comments

  1. Hi Ruth! I liked how you mentioned the Rutherford experiment, I thought it was an interesting way to learn about particles. I understand that particles move slower in colder temperatures, I am unsure why specifically as well. Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts